Intermediate Bike Maintenance
A practical class where you can learn at your own pace with our experienced, qualified mechanic instructors. This intermediate course is perfect for those
who have already attended one of our basic courses, or have some previous experience. It runs over a full Saturday at our professionally equipped community workshop.
Together we will cover the following:
- Gears – selection, set-up and adjustment, replacing cables
- Assessing drive-train wear and trouble shooting
- Chain removal and replacement
- Cassette/freewheel removal and replacement
- Crankset removal and replacement
- Servicing & adjusting bottom bracket and headset bearings
- Wheel hub servicing and adjustment
- Assessing wheel faults
- Truing a minor wheel buckle
- We don’t cover hydraulic braking systems, hub gears or electric stuff!
You’ll be provided with all necessary tools and parts, and free refreshments are available throughout the day including a delicious hot vegetarian lunch.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
If you’re not arriving by bike (which of course we recommend), parking is available directly outside the workshop on Ayr Street. The High School tram stop is 400m away and the NCT turquoise bus service (77-80) stops on Alfreton Road.
What should I bring/wear?
We strongly recommend you bring your own bike to work on. If for some reason you can’t, we can provide one for you. This is a hands on course so come in comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty.
Can I book my child onto the course with me?
For health and safety reasons all attendees must be 18 and over – so you can if your child is an adult!